It is really common to find WiFi connections around us these days. And if you get really lucky, you might find some open WiFi connections near you. Some of these signals may not be reliable and lack of security than the protected WiFi. You can save the passwords of these protected WiFis in your phones and laptops.
In case you forget and need it later, if you are a Windows user, you can easily check the saved passwords on your system/your laptops. But the problem is that there is no option to see saved WiFi passwords on android and hence android mobile users cannot access these passwords.
There are methods to view saved WiFi passwords in android too. For some methods, you need to root the android device, but this method is not that preferable as it has a lot of pros and cons. You should check out more about root to see what it entails and decide whether you wish to do it or not.
There are also methods to view the saved WiFi passwords in android without the root access. This method is also called WiFi password recovery no root. Without further ado, let’s see how both of the above methods can be used to answer your query of how to find wifi password on android, read on.
How to View Saved WiFi Passwords In Android without Root
- First of all, you have to download the Es File Explorer App on your Android phone. (Click here to download it).
- Open the app and open the navigation bar by swiping left.
- In the Navigation Bar, you will see an option called ‘local’. Select that option.
- Now, under ‘local’, you will see ‘Device’ option. Click on it.
- After that, click on the ‘System’ option which you will be able to see on the screen.
- You will be able to see many folders. Now, open the ‘etc’ folder.
- Inside the ‘etc’ folder, you can see the ‘wifi’ folder. Open it.
- After that, click on the file named the following.
- You will be shown different viewers to open it in. Select the ES text viewer for opening it.
- And that is it. You should be able to see all your saved WiFi passwords in the viewer, and it’ll show wifi password that you were looking for.
This is the best method for android show wifi password without having to root it. That being said, you should know that this method does not work for all the android devices. So, if it does not work for you, you will have to root your Android device to see the saved WiFi passwords. But if it does work, the solution given above is the best.
Now let us see how we can view the saved WiFi passwords on a rooted android device. The steps given below are specifically for rooted android phones. Sometimes, there is no way to see the WiFi passwords without gaining admin access as this information is stored in the system folder of the device.
If your device is not rooted and the method stated before is not working, then consider rooting it and follow the steps given below to view your saved WiFi passwords on your android phones.
How to View Saved WiFi Passwords On Android with Root
- Again, you will have to download the ES File Explorer app on your device (Click here to download it). This is because we are trying to access a system file on android. Hence we cannot use ordinary or traditional file explorers that comes pre-installed on the device. Now we have to see how we can use ES File Explorer as a root explorer, i.e, how you can use it to view system files.
- Launch the ES File Explorer and open the app’s settings by pressing the menu key.
- In the settings, scroll down till you see the ‘other settings’ section and select the ‘Root settings’ option.
After that, in the ‘Root settings’ option, you will find ‘Root Explorer’ option and ‘Up to root’ option both of which are checkable. Check both of these options. If you are enabling this feature for the first time, your Android device will show a prompt asking you if you would like to grant this app the root access. Select the remember option and click allow. This will enable the ES File Explorer app.
- You will now be able to view all the root Android files when you tap the up button instead of exiting the app.
- Now, select the option called ‘local’ form the navigation bar.
- In it, you will see the ‘Device’ option. Click on it.
- Now, you will be able to see a directory called data. Select it.
- In this directory, choose the misc folder.
- Inside the misc folder, you will see a wifi folder. Enter this folder.
- After that, you will see a file named ‘wpa_supplicant.conf’. Tap on this file to open it and make sure that you have used the FS Explorer’s built-in text/HTML viewer for opening the file.
- That is it. You should now be able to see the network SSID and corresponding passwords next to it. Search for the network that you wish to know the password of, jot it down and close the file.
Please be very very careful and ensure that you don’t edit anything in the file. If you do, you might start getting some problems with your WiFi connectivity which can be difficult to detect and correct if you don’t remember or know about the edits.
Conclusion: View the saved WiFi passwords on Android devices.
These are the two best ways to view your saved WiFi passwords on your android phone depending on whether they are rooted or not. Hope the directions were clear, precise easy to understand and follow. Hope it also helped you to access your saved WiFi passwords on your Android phone.